Monday, October 22, 2007

Memory Lane Monday

Great Grandma Leffue's
Snicker doodle Cookie Recipe

Mix together thoroughly...
2 sticks butter or shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs

Sift together and stir in...
2 3/4 cups sifted flour
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Chill dough.
Roll into balls the size of small walnuts.
Roll in mixture of 2 tbsp sugar & 2 tsp cinnamon.
Place about 2" apart on ungreased baking sheet.
Bake until lightly browned...but still soft.
These cookies puff up at first, then flatten out with crinkled tops.

Temp: 400 degrees
Time: 8-10 minutes
Amount: 5 dozen cookies

This is one of my favorite memories of my Great Grandma Leffue. She always had yummy Snicker doodles at her house for the Grand kids and adults to enjoy! I loved going to visit Grandpa and Grandma. They had a great big tree in their backyard that was perfect for climbing. I remember loving during fall to go visit because there were so many leaves to jump into! She was always so happy and loved having us teach her new things. For example one time I was making some sort of craft & I rolled a piece of tape and I still to this day remember how wonderful she thought that was & she sure made me feel pretty special! Her and Grandpa lived in a very old home and they had a mail slot, I remember us kids thought that was so neat that their mail dropped right inside their house. Grandma always had fun nicknack's and great treasures, every once in awhile Paige & I will say if we would have only held on to them! The first time she held Cody as a baby she just kept saying how much she loved his name and even said thank goodness we don't have another John. This always made me laugh since that's my Grandpa's name which is her son. I feel so blessed to be able to have known my Great Grandma and have such beautiful memories of her.

14 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

yummy i am gonna have to try these! they sound delightful! what fun memories!

tammy said...

Yummy! What fun memories! Grandparents are such special people. I love the memories I have of my grandparents/great-grandparents. I need to post about them before I'm too old and forget!

Susan said...

She was such a special lady with so many wonderful qualities. She just loved life and always made me feel so good about myself. I love the story about the craft and piece of tape. I made a pie once and she bragged on it all day that it was the most beautiful and prettiest pie she had ever seen. Loved her!

Jen said...

What a great memory and a recipe to boot! Don't you just love Grandparents? My Grandma has a mail slot too, I thought that was the coolest thing as a kid!

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

What special memories. I have my great grandmas sugar cookie recipe. I might have to steal your idea and post mine for memory monday! Thanks for the idea. You're the best!!

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

Oh and btw we grew up in and old house and we had a mail slot, and a little window with a little door in our front door so we could open it and see who was at the door!

Shannon said...

That sounds so good! Now that it is cooling off it sounds so fun to bake! Sounds like you had such a neat grandma!

The Fab Fabian Life said...

What a sweet grandma! I was having a total pregnancy cookie craving yesterday--- now I have a new recipe for the next time:)

Libby said...

OOO-those sound so yummy! I might just have to be a nice mom and try making them this week. What great memories that you have!

Corree said...

You always have the best Memory Lane Monday! What a neat Grandma. My Grandparents also had a mail slot, we loved waiting for the mail when we were young & now my kids think it is so neat that the mail comes right into the house! I will have to try that recipe, sounds so yummy!

Courtney said...

I too love your Memory Lane Monday. It always makes me stop and reflect on my own memories. This one is so sweet about your Grandma.You are so lucky to have memories of your great grandma. I will have to try the recipe. I am sure they will be as sweet as your Grandma!

ZB said...

What a sweet story of your grandma. I loved reading what your mom wrote. All of us should be like your grandma...seeing so much good in everyone around us.

Cheryl said...

I love all the wonderful memories of Grandma too. Those cookies were so yummy! When I made her a pretty decorated cake for her 50th anniversary she still had some of the gold roses saved in her fridge 40 years later. I was amazed. She always made me feel special!

blah, blah by lindsey said...

that is so sweet. sounds like a fun place to be.