Thursday, March 6, 2008

Making some changes

I have slowly been trying to change how our family eats. Carter has had eczema since he was 9 months old and the doctors would give their generic answer 'he will grow out of it' well he turned 3 in December and it has only gotten worst. I have 3 different creams & even a syrup I give him at night so he won't scratch off his skin. It's so sad! His skin will look good for months and then get really bad again. I finally decided I'm doing something else I can't have this kid on medicine for the rest of his life. After reading a lot about eczema I really think he could have food allergies. I found this blog & I love it! She really gives great ideas. I have been cooking all this week and freezing lots of stuff. I make smoothies (older kiddos love them & the twins not so much. I'm not giving up!), blueberry pancakes(I make them & freeze them not a morning gal!).
Next week I'm going to try to start to eliminate two things from Carter's diet just not sure what they are yet. I'm thinking milk and sugar. This is going to be so hard because he LOVES to eat! So, if you have been wanting to make a healthy change go read her blog for some wonderful ideas, tips & recipes.
Wish me luck!

12 comments:

Jen said...

Good idea! Gavin is the same way, his use to get worse from dairy and citrus. Thankfully he has grown out of that for the most part, but I also notice it is worse when he is outside in the grass and sand, which stinks cuz he is an outside kinda kid. But he is getting better so I am hoping he grows out of that too.

SuperCoolMom said...

Hmm, maybe you can try soy milk. I have a boy who was really lactose intollerant and he loved SILK (both vanilla and chocolate).

Good luck! Keep us posted on your efforts!

jayna said...

good luck brooke!! isn't it crazy that food could totally be the cause? smoothies sound so good right now... hope you are great!!

onehm said...

GOOD LUCK! I am so impressed that you are trying something different. I don't know that I would be able to follow through. You are wonderful!!

Tiffany said...

Thats so crazy Brooke! Shari is in my sisters ward. So sweet! I love all her ideas! I 100% believe that we are what we eat. That is why I look like this! I am starting to change my pantry around and am so excited about that fresh and easy that opened today on Higley! Finally! I hope you figure out his eczema. I had it when I was a kid too. Not fun!!!

blah, blah by lindsey said...

poor guy and poor mom!! hope it works!!

Jack Marcus Daley said...

i updated my blog finally so i am sure you will be proud of me. it has details of when i proposed

Pam said...

It is so hard to make diet changes, but it will prove worth it in the long run. I grew up eating bad and then I got my degree in nutrition. I still struggle to eat right sometimes. So I think the earlier the better to learn good habits for life.

Cheryl said...

I remember your mom or Johnny had eczema when they were little. Hopefully he will just outgrow it. A good diet is always a good thing. We are what we eat!!

Haymore Family said...

wow that is a really good idea! i am going to try that, bryson has it not to bad but its getting worse! I had it and didn't grow out of it until i was about 14, so i hope it works!

Tracey said...

I know you can do it. I've been working on taking out white flour and sugar and corn syrup for a couple years. I do good for a while then I fall back into badand convenient habits. But I had a friend tell me its a journey a little bit at a time. Tell me what works for you.

Alli grins said...

We'll have to talk eczema next time I come get my hair done (which will hopefully be soon!) I have it on my hands right now so badly that most of my fingers are cracked & bleeding. I've had it for years, but it's worst in the winter. I went to a dermatologist last week and didn't get much help, so I may try an Allergist next. You're probably right, that's it's caused by diet. Just don't make me give up ice cream;-) Good luck with Carter! I'll call you tomorrow!